HACCP stands for Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points. This is one of the food safety systems based on prevention methodology. It carries out the following 2 functions predominantly –
- Assessment of the Methodology of Food Manufacturing
- Pointing out at the Problems that could Occur owing to Usage of that methodology
If necessary, the HACCP precludes hazardous food from getting to the consumers.
The HACCP revolves around the following 7 commandments –
- Assessment of food security in all areas i.e. organic, substantial and natural.
- Looking out for obstacles to food safety during all stages of manufacturing
- Setting up boundaries to ensure that there are no hazards to food safety.
- Making sure that the boundaries are respected
- Correcting any procedure that is causing harm to food safety
- Maintaining a register of it all
- Inviting certified 3rd parties to inspect the system that has been implemented
Advantages of HACCP
HACCP is beneficial to 3 bodies –
- The Government
- The Food chain
- The Consumer
Apart from that, it helps the firm to reach the mark required to produce good quality food legally.
The following are the other benefits that can be gained from HACCP –
- It can be implemented at all levels of manufacturing and retailing
- The need for heavy modification of the final product is banished if one follows the HACCP program from the beginning.
- The final produce will have minimum to no contaminants.
- Reduction in costs due to timely inspection
- All of the aspects of food quality are looked into under HACCP
- Prevention of production of faulty products and hence, improvement, in productivity and thereby, profits.
- Lessening of the gap between the supplier and the consumer and hence, better quality of business.
- Adjusting according to the changes without compromising on the quality is one of the main traits of HACCP. The changes could be anything from implementation of procedures to better technology.
- Lessening of the gap between the people who are involved in the manufacture of food.
- High customer satisfaction